Well I’ve been fighting with various map/route plugins for a few hours. I’m not happy with any of them, so for now you just get a nice screenshot!
Things can and will change constantly of course, but here’s the opening semblance of a plan:
- Leave Wednesday (the 20th).
- Chill out with my poker buddy Gramps in Tijuana for a night.
- Maybe camp at La Jolla campground in La Bufadora south of Ensenada – or maybe barrel further into Baja.
- Camp and hike for a few days in Sierra de San Pedro Martín national park in central Baja. Snow! Woo hoo.
- Make my way to La Paz, take the ferry over to Mazatlan on the mainland (ignore the map, which doesn’t realize there’s a ferry to Mazatlan apparently.
- Maybe head down toward Puerto Vallarta and chill on the beach for a bit
- Go north a bit to San Miguel de Allende for a few days
- Make my way to Puebla for a week-long intensive Spanish school a this place: https://www.livitspanish.com/ which comes highly recommended
- Hang out in Oaxaca for a few days at a couple campgrounds which are hubs for “overlanders” – who are people doing what I am doing, except most of them have some sort of camper van or RV, and eat lots of mole. Food in Oaxaca is a highlight of the trip
- Make my way over to Tulum by Feb 1 – to meet up with some friends who are doing a similar trip (except the whole world) on their motorcycles: http://endofallroads.com/ (they’re all pilots with a lot of seniority, so they’re taking a month on/month off to ride – 3 year trip around the world).
- Hang out in Tulum for a couple weeks
- Then all signs tentatively point to my friend Shauna coming to hang out with me for 3 weeks, drive from Tulum, check out Belize for a week, then Guatemala.
- After that it’s pretty wide open, but I will probably try to find another week-long intensive Spanish class in Antigua, Guatemala.
- Then my motorcycle buddies will be driving the rest of the way through Central America starting March 15th. So I may meet up with them somewhere a long the way.
- Then I still have to be in Patagonia on 4/16 for a photo expedition – but I will probably fly out of Panama City or Costa Rica – because I have determined it’s ridiculous to try to drive down there that fast.
- Then I will deal with shipping my car to South America after the photo trip